Dr. Charles Best Public School is named after Dr. Charles Best (1899-1978), an important person in the medical field. When Charles Best was an assistant to Dr. Fredrick Banting at the University of Toronto, he played a role in the discovery of insulin, enabling an effective treatment of diabetes.
During World War II he was influential in establishing a Canadian program for securing and using dried human blood serum. In his later years, Dr. Charles Best was an adviser to the medical research committee of the United Nations World Health Organization. In 1967, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada. In 1994, he was inducted into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. In 2004, he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.